Friday, September 19, 2014

Construction in Rwanda

There is a lot of construction going on on campus right now.  Next year Maranyundo is going to expand from solely a middle school to also include the first year of high school.  So that requires dorms and classrooms to be built before the January start date. Honestly, when I look at the progress, I wonder how they will be done in time, but Rwandans are very good at sticking to their goals! You can read more about the construction here and the expansion here .  

I have really enjoyed watching the progress and the methods for building these structures and my favorite things to do is compare the work to how I have seen it done in the United States.

From a bystander’s point of view, there are three main differences:

1.       The most obvious is SAFETY!


Everything is built by hand at the construction site, including haphazard bridges, ladders, and scaffolding. The small bridge above used to be turned over with the rusty nails just waiting to puncture through someone’s shoes. I do not want to even imagine what motivated them to turn it again!


This is the Rwandan form of a construction bridge to get up into the scaffolding. I don't think it would meet OSHA standards, but it does get the job done!


No need for an aluminum ladder, when you can build it yourself!


People just walk on these high beams and scaffolds without thinking twice. My stomach is always full of nervous butterflies when I visit the sites. Also, notice the lack of hard hats. And can we please talk about how I’m allowed to just waltz onto the site in a dress and flip flops without even seeking permission?

     2. Everything is done by HAND.


Very rarely have I ever seen any machines or construction vehicles at the sites. Huge holes are dug with shovels and the dirt is moved away in wheel barrels. It is really quite an impressive feat to watch! 

  

Here he is laying concrete, which isn’t odd, but the mix is brought in on wheel barrels rather than a cement mixer and gravel is carried in on women’s heads (see below) in baskets.

Also, I must point out that both of the men in the above two pictures asked me to take a photo of them (quite a common request in Rwanda). They then went right back to working - this was clearly what they wanted to be known for. You have to respect that kind of work ethic.


3. It is not uncommon to see WOMEN working alongside the men



I am so impressed by this. You very rarely see women doing manual labor in the United States, but here women are very tough.  I honestly feel pretty lame when standing next to them (just getting in the way and snapping photographs).  Not to mention they can carry things on their HEADS, something I will never be able to do.

-Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment